[Hiring] Data Scientist at Yuga Labs
Date PostedOctober 23, 2023
Experience5 Years plus
Yuga Labs is a web3 company exploring big ideas in identity, ownership, utility, and interoperability to push the crypto and NFT space forward.
As The Defiant recently said, “The story of Yuga Labs is one where the improbable has become reality in the blink of an eye.” Since debuting with our flagship collection Bored Ape Yacht Club in April 2021, we’ve created new IP for the ape ecosystem (Mutant Ape Yacht Club, Bored Ape Kennel Club), acquired other top collections (CryptoPunks and Meebits), and pulled off successful events (ApeFest) and partnerships (Rolling Stone).
And we made both web3 and gaming history — the biggest NFT mint ever followed by a game demo with record-breaking synchronized player participation — for our newest initiative, Otherside.
See you on the other side
Who We’re Looking For
Yuga Lab’s data developers build tools to understand and delight our community using massive-scale data and state of the art data processing technology. Handling the potential these data offer is a tremendous and complex task. As we continue delivering and scaling content to our community, our discipline has challenges and opportunities centered on crafting, building, and maintaining data products that support the organization’s growth.
Yuga Lab’s Data Scientists combine their wide technical expertise across machine learning (ML), artificial intelligence (AI), statistics, and experimental design to inform business decisions and develop data-powered tech. This role sits with the Data team and partners closely with both our blockchain engineering and game development teams. In a world of high volume and complexity, you will develop models and analyses that will help drive strategy for one of the largest players in web3.
- Design and build innovative machine learning and statistical models for a wide variety of datasets and business needs (web3 product strategy, game design, community dynamics)
- Deploy your results as visualizations, analyses, pipelines, or integrated engineering systems
- This role will partner closely with product, game design, blockchain engineering, and finance to define the approach, build the solution, and communicate/deploy outcomes
- In partnership with data and software engineers: define, compile, and process datasets across sources via relevant tools
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Data Science, Quantitative Finance, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Operations Research, Engineering, or a related quantitative field
- 5 years of work experience using machine learning and statistical analysis, coding (e.g., Python, SQL), and querying data
- Deep understanding of machine learning concepts, statistical models, and experimental design. Experience translating product and business needs into the appropriate modeling or statistical framework.
- Proficient in coding (Python) and computer science fundamentals
- Proficient in accessing and developing large datasets using SQL-based query languages and API requests
- A passion for a wide variety of problem spaces (blockchain, finance, game monetization and balance, social listening, player dynamics) and a desire to collaborate directly with non-technical business and creative disciplines
- Strong verbal communication and data visualization skills, including communication of complex data or model insights
- Experience working within cloud data platforms (e.g., AWS, GCP)
- Experience with version control (github)
- Familiar with data pipelining tools and automation systems. Comfortable partnering with data engineering and infrastructure partners to define data requirements and needs
- Blockchain and/or game data experience
- Familiar with data processing (e.g., Spark, Flink, Hive) and storage systems (e.g., S3, Redshift, BigQuery) at large scale
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to sit for long periods
- Ability to work on a computer screen and communicate virtually
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $190,000- $220,000 in addition to equity and benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. The range listed encompasses several levels. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and market demand. Please note that the compensation details listed in role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
What We Offer
- 100% remote
- Localized comprehensive health benefits
- Monthly stipends for wellness, co-working, and mobile/internet service
- Flexible Time Off, localized paid holidays, & Winter Recess (December 24-January 1)
- A vibrant community of Employee Resource Groups (Women at Yuga, Blackchain3, Queer3)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Localized retirement plans
We believe true innovation in web3 requires diversity in perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds. But historically marginalized groups are underrepresented in the space, not just as participants but as leaders and creators. Luckily, we — and every web3 company — have the opportunity to bake necessary process and mindset shifts into our company DNA from the early days.
To help build a web3 that’s diverse and inclusive, we strive to build Yuga’s workplace to be diverse and inclusive. Not just how we do things day to day, but who does them and who decides what needs to be done.
So if you’re excited about one of our roles but your resume doesn’t align perfectly with the job description, please apply anyway. If you’re enthusiastic about web3 but come from an industry you think is unrelated, apply anyway. If you’re a great thinker and doer, apply anyway. The fate of web3 kiiinda depends on it.
At Yuga Labs, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We’re shaping the future of identity, community, and technology—an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
Yuga Labs applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Yuga Labs applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Yuga Labs Benefits Team (accommoda[email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.