[Hiring] Data Scientist (Solutions) at Phaidra
Date PostedNovember 6, 2023
Experience5 Years plus
Phaidra is building the future of industrial automation.
The world today is filled with static, monolithic infrastructure. Factories, power plants, buildings, etc. operate the same they’ve operated for decades — because the controls programming is hard-coded.
Thousands of lines of rules and heuristics that define how the machines interact with each other. The result of all this hard-coding is that facilities are frozen in time, unable to adapt to their environment while their performance slowly degrades.
Phaidra creates AI-powered control systems for the industrial sector, enabling industrial facilities to automatically learn and improve over time. Specifically:
- We use reinforcement learning algorithms to provide this intelligence, converting raw sensor data into high-value actions and decisions.
- We focus on industrial applications, which tend to be well-sensorized with measurable KPIs — perfect for reinforcement learning.
- We enable domain experts (our users) to configure the AI control systems (i.e. agents) without writing code. They define what they want their AI agents to do, and we do it for them.
Our team has a track record of applying AI to some of the toughest problems. From achieving superhuman performance with DeepMind’s AlphaGo, to reducing the energy required to cool Google’s Data Centers by 40%, we deeply understand AI and how to apply it in production for massive impact.
Phaidra is based in the USA but 100% remote; we do not have a physical office. We hire employees internationally with the help of our partner, OysterHR. Our team is currently located throughout the USA, Canada, UK, Norway, Italy, Portugal, and India.
**Please only apply to one opening. If you are a better fit for another opening, our team will move your application. Candidates who apply to multiple openings will not be considered.**
Who You Are
As a Data Scientist working within the Solutions and Customer Success teams, you’ll play a critical role in creating tools and procedures for dealing with complex, structured and unstructured data sets using advanced statistical methods.
*This role will require meetings that are in North American time zones.
- You will work closely with the Solutions Engineers in order to assist in the intake, cleanup, organization, and analysis of vast amounts of industrial sensor data from various manufacturing and engineering processes.
- This role can be broken into several concrete areas of responsibility:
- Constructing/designing tools and scripts for ingesting data with different formats, and formatting to Phaidra’s format for ingestion.
- Contribute to the development and automation of data analysis.
- Assisting in creating different data visualization schemes and formats as required by internal and external customers.
- Designing and overseeing experiments and/or pilot projects from a data analysis perspective.
- Assisting in performance analysis, report generation, and customer presentations.
- Analyzing data to perform model investigations and AI behavioral analysis.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Deep understanding of various statistical methods to analyze complex structured and unstructured data.
- Experience developing and applying algorithms to answer complex business questions.
- Experience manipulating large data sets using Python and tools like Pandas.
- Experience in various industry-standard data visualization techniques.
- Familiarity with markup languages like Xml, Json, or Yaml.
- Passion for problem solving and using scalable solutions to solve repeat problems.
- Experience with analyzing commercial and industrial chiller plants.
- Good educational background in one or more related disciplines pertinent to your area of expertise. Example disciplines include Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Control Theory, Applied Mathematics and other various engineering and applied science fields.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to explain complex domain specific concepts to non-domain experts.
- Shares our company values: curiosity, transparency & directness, outcome-based performance, and customer empathy.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience with Google Suite products.
- Understanding of industrial control and automation systems.
- Experience with cloud services.
- Experience with AI and ML applications.
- Experience using scrum and agile methodologies.
In your first 30 days…
- You will have a solid understanding of what Phaidra does and how we do it.
- You will have met with team members across Phaidra and started building relationships that will help you be successful at your job.
- You will have become proficient at navigating the Customer Success team’s processes and software tools.
By your first 60 days…
- You will introduce yourself to our customers
- You will understand our customer onboarding process
- You will dig into Atlas, our project workflow tool
- You will format customer data for ingestion
- You will analyze AI performance on projects
By your first 90 days…
- You will participate in troubleshooting issues
- You will participate in energy performance analysis
- You will contribute to data storage standards and methodologies
- You will create and refine business processes around data management
- You will attend site visits as permitted
Base Salary Range
US Residents: $82,000-$127,000/year
This position will also include equity.
This is a best faith estimate of the base salary range for this position. Multiple factors such as experience, education, level, and location are taken into account when determining compensation.
Benefits & Perks
- Fast-paced and team-oriented environment where you will be instrumental in the direction of the company.
- Phaidra is a 100% remote company with a digital nomad policy.
- Competitive compensation & equity with an early exercise option.
- Outsized responsibilities & professional development.
- Training is foundational; functional, customer immersion, and development training.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance (exact benefits vary by region).
- Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 20 days off per year requirement.
- Paid parental leave (exact benefits vary by region).
- Home office setup stipend and company MacBook.
- Monthly internet reimbursement.
On being Remote
We are thoughtful about remote collaboration. We look to the pioneers – like Gitlab – for inspiration and best practices to create a stellar remote work environment. We have a documentation-first culture and actively practice asynchronous communication in everything we do.
Our team stays connected through tools like Slack and video chat. Most teams meet daily, and we have dedicated all-hands meetings bi-weekly to build strong relationships. We hold virtual team building events once per month – and even hold virtual socials to watch rocket launches! We have a yearly in-person, all-company summit in locations like Seattle, Athens, Goa, and Barcelona.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Phaidra is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Phaidra is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status. We welcome diversity and strive to maintain an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance with completing the application process, please contact us at [email protected].
Phaidra participates in E-Verify, an employment authorization database provided through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA). As required by law, we will provide the SSA and, if necessary, the DHS, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization for those residing in the United States.
Additional information about E-Verify can be found here.