[Hiring] Director of Partnerships at Metabase
Date PostedSeptember 28, 2023
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications below, please still consider applying. We believe in
a holistic approach when evaluating talent for our team.
Metabase is the easiest way for people to get insights from their data, from tiny startups who get up and running quickly to major corporations with tens of thousands of users. That’s why people love us.
We bring data tools with the elegance and simplicity of consumer products to the crufty world of enterprise business intelligence. We provide an opinionated open source starting point for how companies should measure, analyze and share their data, which is used by tens of thousands of companies.
While we currently play well within the ecosystem, partnering with some DB vendors and implementation partners, there’s a lot more we want to do on the partnerships front (across resellers, cloud vendors and much more). So we’re looking for a Director of Partnerships with the experience to put in place and expand our programs, with specific revenue goals.
- Run the whole of the Partnerships function, owning a revenue contribution target. This includes defining and delivering on plans and playbooks for each partnership path we’ve identified, and others you’d propose.
- Manage a small team of people fully or partially dedicated to Partnerships initiatives, while defining processes and tools to track work and progress (pipelines, dashboards, etc). That’s what makes this is a Director- and not Manager-level role.
- Collaborate effectively and constructively with senior leadership and other functions to accomplish shared goals.
- Engage directly with legal to produce/review agreements and other documents.
- A partnerships kind of person. Friendly, good people reader, able to identify and cultivate the common ground required for partnerships to thrive.
- Driven (to get people aligned on what to do) while scrappy/hands-on (to put in place infrastructure and processes which may not yet exist and without depending on lots of people) and results-oriented (we don’t want a bunch of activities with no results).
- Organized. There’s no office, not a lot of existing processes in this function, no project management help.
- A strong communicator: verbally for external contexts, in writing for internal ones (we’re an async-first culture where meetings are not the primary way to get things done).
Skills and experience
- Strong experience in a leadership position in a Partnerships function (6+ years). Ideally you’ve run the entirety of it, but we’re also open to candidates who’ve run part of it (eg the marketing or technical part of a bigger partnerships org). We’re looking for people who’ve been there and done it though, thus can’t consider up-and-coming candidates without this experience.
- Specific experience in the data space (2+ years), when it comes to user needs, general technologies and organizational politics. We can’t train someone quickly enough to understand the dynamics at play and how to align incentives between all the parties involved without understanding a data stack.
- Strong project management skills, coordinating multiple functions to deliver cohesive wholes (which means not just tracking work, but setting it up for success by clearly articulating what’s needed from whom and why).
- Skills you don’t need: coding, SQL, copywriting, design, flamenco dancing.
- This role will initially report to the VP Product and Growth, eventually migrating to either the CEO or VP Sales.
- There’s no timezone constraint for this role, but it will require engaging with employees and partners primarily in the Americas and Europe (GMT-8 to GMT+1) regularly, so keep that in mind, especially if you’re far East.
We’re a global team (50% outside the US), fully distributed (from Thailand to California), who get things done asynchronously, with plenty of uninterrupted time, supporting each other to do the best work of our careers.
We offer flexibility (define your own schedule and work from wherever you want), autonomy, and an environment that fosters growth, learning, and development. We’re relentlessly user-focused and believe in building long-term value, not short-term hacks. And we raised a $30M Series B to take our approach to the next level for years to come.