[Hiring] Full Stack Lead Engineer I at Stitch Fix
Date PostedOctober 11, 2023
Experience5 Years plus
At Stitch Fix, our goal is to help our customers look great and feel great about themselves by revolutionizing how people shop. In a time-starved world where shopping often feels overwhelming, our business connects customers to clothes they love.
Whether it’s helping someone dress for success at a new job or taking the stress out of packing for a family vacation, we fix clients’ closets – and they love us for it!
We’ve built unique, innovative software for merchandising, warehouse and inventory management, remote styling, and logistics. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our clients and a very successful business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute!
At Stitch Fix, we are transforming the way you find what you love. We believe in combining the personalized insights of humans with the data-driven insights of technology. This is how we aim to personalize your style journey, saving you time to look great today while adapting to your changing style and needs over time.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Stitch Fix’s Unified Data Platform team is looking for a bright, kind, and motivated Lead Software Engineer. Our team is responsible for product data and merchandise workflows that are critical to the success of our business. We are a platform team with many consumers, from Merchandising to Inventory Management and Engineering to Data Science.
We operate in an agile-inspired manner across multiple time zones. We build modern software with modern techniques like TDD, continuous delivery, DevOps, and service-oriented architecture. We focus on high-value products that solve clearly identified problems but are designed in a sustainable way and deliver long-term value.
We love building relationships that enable everyone to learn and ask questions. With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Stitch Fix is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Lead Engineer on our team, you’ll help us evolve our systems and data models to scale and support the future of the product data catalog here at Stitch Fix. You’ll collaborate with our merchandise users, product managers, upstream and downstream engineering teams, data engineers, and data scientists to design, plan, and implement holistic technical solutions for our prioritized business and technical initiatives. By using data analysis and empirical evidence, you can frame business problems and drive right-sized solutions for our users.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Operate as an engaged member of the engineering team – leading meetings, attending sprint ceremonies, providing input on technical design documents & project plans, pairing with other engineers to work toward a solution, etc
- Proactively communicate status updates or changes to the scope or timeline of projects to stakeholders and leadership
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, timely feedback, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Help prioritize the team’s technical backlog
- Participate in on-call support rotations and improve the on-call experience for others
- Write and review code in Ruby and CSS used in applications built in React or Rails
YOU ARE EXCITED ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE
- You will build features that delight our internal users.
- You will proactively collaborate with product, design, engineering, algorithms, and merchandising to help set project scope, align stakeholders, and manage risks.
- You will chart a clear path for your team to implement by your side.
- You iterate on agile-inspired processes to help build better software as a cohesive team.
- You are passionate about guiding and supporting others’ growth through various approaches such as mentoring, pairing, constructive feedback, and code reviews.
- You will shape and build out a system that integrates across engineering, finance, and algorithms teams.
- You design systems with quality, reliability, and observability in mind.
WE ARE EXCITED ABOUT YOU BECAUSE
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience with building and maintaining modern web stacks at scale(such as Ruby on Rails, Postgres, Redis, Kafka, Sidekiq).
- 5+ years experience in Ruby on Rails .
- 2+ years of experience in technical leadership – including driving technical decisions and guiding broader project goals.
- You practice curiosity and kindness.
- You take initiative and operate with accountability.
- You lean towards pragmatic, well tested, and observable solutions that deliver long term value for our customers.
- You thrive in collaborative teams and have experience working with distributed and remote teams.
- You lead technical design discussions and remove blockers.
- You mentor and influence others by modeling how to deliver consistent, sustainable results.
- You actively invest in the professional development and career growth of your teammates and peers.
- You are motivated by solving challenging problems and navigating ambiguity.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with schema design, distributed systems integration, building low latency, performant APIs, messaging, and master data management is a plus.
ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY
Includes but is not limited to the following
- Ruby on Rails
- GraphQL and Postgres
- AWS services such as S3
YOU’LL LOVE WORKING AT STITCH FIX BECAUSE WE
- Are a successful, vibrant, and transformational company.
- Are a technology and data-driven business.
- Are at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation.
- Are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience.
- Get to be creative every day.
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas.
- Believe in autonomy and taking initiative.
- Embody a remote-first culture.
- Offer transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation based on your level to help eliminate bias in salaries, as well as equity and comprehensive health benefits.
- Are serious about our commitment to life-work balance, and have generous parental leave policies.
ABOUT STITCH FIX
We’re changing the industry and bringing personal styling to everybody. We believe in a service and a workplace where you can show up as your best, most authentic self. The Stitch Fix experience is not merely curated—it’s truly personalized to each client we style. We are changing the way people find what they love. We’re disrupting the future of retail with the precision of data science by combining it with human instinct to find pieces that fit our client’s unique style.
This novel juxtaposition attracts a highly diverse group of talented people who are both thinkers and doers. This results in a simple, yet powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business serving millions of men, women and kids throughout the US and UK. We believe we are only scratching the surface and are looking for incredible people like you to help us boldly create our future.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Our anticipated compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets, and the range below indicates the low end of the lowest-compensated market to the high end of the highest-compensated market. This position is eligible for new hire and ongoing grants of restricted stock units depending on employee and company performance.
This link leads to the machine readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data.
RECRUITING FRAUD ALERT:
To all candidates: your personal information and online safety are top of mind for us. At Stitch Fix, recruiters only direct candidates to apply through our official career pages at https://www.stitchfix.com/careers/jobs or https://web.fountain.com/c/stitch-fix.
Recruiters will never request payments, ask for financial account information or sensitive information like social security numbers. If you are unsure if a message is from Stitch Fix, please email [email protected].
You can read more about Recruiting Scam Awareness on our FAQ page here: https://support.stitchfix.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500007169402-Recruiting-Scam-Awareness