[Hiring] Linux Software Engineering Manager – Ubuntu at Canonical
Date PostedFebruary 5, 2024
ExperienceFresh, 1 Year, 2 Years, 3 Years, 4 Years, 5 Years
We are scaling the Ubuntu Foundations Team which delivers the essential components of Ubuntu – our system startup, compilers, language runtimes and toolchains, as well as networking and storage config and management – and we are hiring engineering managers to enable that growth. These are highly technical management roles which require deep knowledge of the core of a Linux server system.
As an Engineering Manager on the Foundations team, you must be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of enterprise technologists. You will work closely with product managers to define and deliver the Ubuntu roadmap.
Your primary responsibility is to your team: helping them grow as engineers, do important and satisfying work, and have a great time while doing it. Technical leadership experience and a background in software engineering are necessary prerequisites for this role. You will be expected to lead, challenge, and develop strong engineers, positively influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
This Engineering Management role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and Ubuntu to build a career with Canonical and drive the success of the business. If you have an affinity for open source development, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
What you’ll do
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles through architecture, development and code reviews
- Be responsible for planning, estimation and execution
- Work with product management to define the vision and strategy for Ubuntu
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Build and lead a distributed regional team of engineers
- Offer coaching, mentoring, technical feedback and hands-on career development
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Design, embrace and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organization
- Work from home with international travel up to 6 weeks per year for internal and external events
Valued skills and experience
- Deep knowledge of Debian/Ubuntu architecture
- Good understanding of Debian packaging policy, tools and techniques
- High quality software engineering with in-depth knowledge of C/C++ and Python
- Engagement with open source communities and processes
- Experience in one or more of: Linux system architecture, boot process, Java/GCC/Python/Rust/Go toolchains, ARM and/or RISC-V
- Experience managing software developers with a track record of planning, delivery and quality
- A love of developing and growing people and a track record of doing it
- Experience working in an agile development environment
What we offer you
We consider geographical location, experience, and performance in shaping compensation worldwide. We revisit compensation annually (and more often for graduates and associates) to ensure we recognise outstanding performance. In addition to base pay, we offer a performance-driven annual bonus. We provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. We balance our programs to meet local needs and ensure fairness globally.
- Distributed work environment with twice-yearly team sprints in person – we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of USD 2,000 per year
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues from your team and others
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence – in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.