[Hiring] R&D Software Engineer at Mechanical Orchard
Date PostedNovember 13, 2023
ExperienceFresh, 1 Year, 2 Years, 3 Years, 4 Years, 5 Years
Mechanical Orchard is a fast-growing startup that takes a fresh view on old problems. We replace legacy computing systems for the Global 2000, with a focus on mitigating risk and creating a genuinely solid foundation for innovating and adapting.
Our background in software development and the impact on the industry is well known, and we’ve literally helped write the book on XP and other impactful agile practices. We’re applying the same thoughtfulness and rigor in weaving AI into everything we do. We believe in the durable principles behind agile, and embrace the power of cross-functional teams, collective ownership, test driven development, short feedback loops, and continuous improvement.
We are Generous, Ethical, Effective, and Kind.
Generative AI plays an increasingly important role for us, in particular around reverse engineering of legacy systems, and we are applying it in pragmatic ways that augments our human teams.
We’re looking for engineers with generative AI experience to join our R&D practice. On this team, we’re developing tools and processes to enable our delivery teams, with an eye towards creating a platform to help dramatically improve and accelerate our legacy modernization efforts at scale.
As an R&D Software Engineer at Mechanical Orchard, you will be expected to:
– Work as part of cross functional team researching and building internal and/or customer facing tools and platforms using Elixir, python, and/or other modern programming languages
– Incorporate and integrate generative AI technology including LLMs using tools such as LangChain and approaches such as prompt engineering, retrieval augmented generation, and model fine tuning or training
– Pair program with other engineers and collaborate closely with other roles such as product managers and designers
– Apply and evolve XP engineering practices such pair programming, test-driven development, refactoring, continuous integration and continuous delivery
– Operate and support production platforms and applications as a team in the context of the agile DevOps model
– Collaborate with other teams at Mechanical Orchard, including client delivery and sales teams on technical discovery efforts for existing customer systems including legacy applications
– Continuously learn about relevant emerging technologies or practices and foster the growth of the team and organization through mentorship, tech talks, and other means
As the ideal candidate, you’ve worked as a software engineer in a professional, team based environment, with exposure or demonstrated passion for XP practices such as pair programming and test driven development.
You are comfortable in a full stack developer role, but have deeper expertise in at least one modern programming language and application framework.
You have a foundation of theoretical knowledge about machine learning and data science, combined with recent practical experience with generative AI including LLM prompt engineering, evaluation, application integration, and production deployment.
Strong communication and collaboration skills as well as empathy are essential for working closely with the R&D team, our internal and external customers, and others at Mechanical Orchard.
This is a full time, remote position, and we’re looking for candidates in the US Eastern, US Central, or European time zones.
Occasional travel may be required for customer visits or team gatherings.
Mechanical Orchard, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
All employment decisions at Mechanical Orchard, Inc. are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Mechanical Orchard, Inc. will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. encourages applicants of all ages. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
We look forward to reviewing your application. Thanks!