[Hiring] Staff Engineer at Relay
Date PostedFebruary 7, 2024
Relay is building an autonomous growth platform to help merchants scale e-commerce. Our suite of software tools allows merchants to automate key revenue generation workflows to drive organic growth and increase profitability.
The Relay ecosystem currently consists of five software businesses that accelerate merchant revenue growth through email marketing automation, user-generated content management, on-page conversion optimization, and bookings management.
Relay’s products are established as key tools in the SMB e-commerce revenue generation stack, servicing more than 35K customers globally, collectively generating>$1BN in GMV annually.
Relay is actively building the ecosystem by acquiring commerce enablement tools primarily serving e-commerce merchants on platforms including Shopify, BigCommerce, and Wix. Relay acquires ‘ready to scale’, oftentimes bootstrapped businesses, and invests in people, processes, and products to accelerate the product roadmap and growth.
The staff engineer is a technical leader within the organization, able to design, breakdown and complete engineering projects of the highest complexity. The staff engineer role is able to mentor and lead project teams and co-owns the success of the product team with the Engineering Director. The product team collaborates across functions to organize the development cycle into sprints with inputs from marketing and customer success.
- Be a partner to the CEO, working closely with them to deliver the business vision and strategy in equilibrium with maintaining a healthy engineering environment for product growth.
- Be an inspiring technical leader to the team, guiding and collaborating with all stakeholders to deliver large features and improvements while maintaining a high level of quality.
- Solve technical challenges of the highest complexity with minimal guidance. Promote innovation within the team by exploring new solutions to problems impacting product growth or team performance.
- Identify and develop a technical vision complementing the business vision. Advocate for improvements to product quality, performance, observability, maintainability, and security.
- Ensure the product meets Relay’s Engineering guidelines on technical practices, software delivery, and operational performance. Advocate and guide the team toward DevOps adoption.
- Iteratively identify and drive improvements to processes and guidelines. Lead by example and encourage documentation for clarity, transparency, and efficient communication in an all-remote workplace.
- Provide mentorship for other engineers and help them grow as technical contributors and thrive independently.
- Demonstrate Relay’s four Core Values in all professional interactions
Requirements & Preferred Qualifications
- 12+ years of production Ruby experience.
- Strong experience with PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Significant experience with high-traffic Sidekiq setups.
- Highly desirable: experience with infrastructure on AWS/GCP.
- Highly desirable: experience with observability tools.
- Strong sense of ownership.
- Ability to balance business needs and deliver high-quality solutions.