[Hiring] Video Creator at Descript
Date PostedFebruary 13, 2024
ExperienceFresh, 1 Year, 2 Years, 3 Years, 4 Years, 5 Years
Descript is looking for another full-time Video Creator. If you’re a creator with experience making video content that’s smart and informative but also creative and never boring, we hope to hear from you. Your job: write, shoot, and edit compelling videos—starring you—that get creatives of all stripes excited about using Descript to make their own videos or podcasts.
As our Video Creator, you’ll master the ins and outs of our app, ensuring your videos stay ahead of the curve based on user feedback and product changes. Your weeks will be spent developing, writing, recording, editing, and posting videos. You’ll get a lot better at all of those things—i.e., at making video. And your face will be all over YouTube, social media, and wherever we publish your videos. So maybe consider a haircut.
To apply for this job, please submit a creator-style video you made by yourself. You should be on camera, speaking your own words. Like in these videos. Ideally, it’s a video of you explaining how to do something, how something works, or just explaining anything. We’re looking for the ability to explain features, workflows, and concepts, so if you think you have that ability, we’d like to see it.
- Proven track record creating informative, enjoyable video tutorials
- Filthy good editing skills
- Expertise in screen recordings, animations, voiceovers, picture-in-picture narration, on-screen annotations
- Your videos are not just good; they’re exceptional. They make the viewer want to watch more, then meet you, befriend you, and go sledding with you
- Deep familiarity with video editing is crucial; you’re eager to spend your days showing others how it’s done using Descript
- Familiarity with Descript
- Experience making videos explaining how to create content, use editing tools, or anything in the how-to/tutorial realm
- Make videos—in varying lengths, formats, and concepts—for Descript’s YouTube channel, Help Center, and social platforms
- Build an extensive video library that addresses common questions and guides users in creating their video content, all while keeping them engaged and entertained
- Collaborate closely with content marketing and other marketing people, plus customer support, product, and…pretty much everybody (we’re still pretty small)
- Master the art of editing and production in Descript, setting a high bar for video quality and for brand content that doesn’t feel like anything you’ve ever seen from a brand
The base salary range for this role is $85,000-125,000. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, and location, and they may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world’s greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that’s in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we’re interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.