[Hiring] Web Frontend Engineer – JS, CSS, React, Flutter at Canonical
Date PostedFebruary 5, 2024
ExperienceFresh, 1 Year, 2 Years, 3 Years, 4 Years, 5 Years
This is a general track for applications to any team at Canonical that works with web-centric tech (JS, TypeScript, React, CSS, Flutter), across all seniority levels.
Many of Canonical’s enterprise products have web front-ends. In order to create consistency across our products and sites, we have a central team that builds an open source React toolkit and presentation layer, the Vanilla Framework. We are excited to develop this further and see if we can help more open source projects build performant and accessible interfaces that respond well to diverse layouts. We use REST APIs for communication, and we consider API design an important part of the process.
We care about accessibility in our products and take time to work with designers.
Flutter is a new front-end technology that has the potential to unify our desktop and web development. We are growing the team’s exposure to Flutter and have roles on both web and Ubuntu engineering for this specialism.
We hire developers with outstanding academic results and a passion for open-source software, innovation, and cutting-edge web technologies. In these roles, you will have the opportunity to make significant contributions through high-quality, front-end and back-end code while exhibiting technical leadership, exceptional design, and intuitive user experience.
Additionally, we encourage colleagues to engage with the broader open-source community. We’re looking for individuals who can help build a thriving community, contribute to a broad range of technologies, and ensure seamless software operations at scale.
Location: Our web and Flutter engineering is largely in European, Middle Eastern, African and American time zones.
What your day will look like
- Write high-quality, well-designed software
- Collaborate proactively with a globally distributed team
- Display technical leadership internally and within our external communities
- Debug issues and produce high-quality code to fix them
- Contribute to technical documentation to make it the best of its kind
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel twice annually for company events
What we are looking for in you
- An exceptional academic track record from both high school and university
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or STEM, or a compelling narrative about your alternative path
- Drive and a track record of going above-and-beyond expectations
- Well-organised, self-starting and able to deliver to schedule
- Professional manner interacting with colleagues, partners, and community
- Knowledge of web (HTML, CSS and JS) tech
- Fluency in Typescript, React or Flutter
- An eye for accessibility and performance
- Professional written and spoken English
- Experience with Linux (Debian or Ubuntu preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, curiosity, flexibility, and accountability
- Passion, thoughtfulness, and self-motivation
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Result-oriented, with a personal drive to meet commitments
- Ability to travel twice a year, for company events up to two weeks each
Additional skills that you might also bring
- Experience with container tech such as LXD, Docker and Kubernetes
- Curiosity about all aspects of web development
- Attention to detail in regard to user-centric UI development
- Experience with systems programming or scalable web services
- REST API design, development and governance
- Performance engineering and security experience
What we offer you
We consider geographical location, experience, and performance in shaping compensation worldwide. We revisit compensation annually (and more often for graduates and associates) to ensure we recognise outstanding performance. In addition to base pay, we offer a performance-driven annual bonus. We provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. We balance our programs to meet local needs and ensure fairness globally.
- Distributed work environment with twice-yearly team sprints in person
- Personal learning and development budget of USD 2,000 per year
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues
- Priority Pass, and travel upgrades for long-haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis.
We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence – in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do. Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Working here is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.